"Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world" Nelson Mandela
What is DEIS?
Delivering equality of opportunity in schools was a national programme launched by the Department of Education and skills in 2005 aimed at addressing the educational needs of children and young people from disadvantaged communities. The DEIS Plan 2017, which replaced the 2005 Plan, sets out a vision for future intervention in the critical area of social inclusion in education policy, and is the DES policy instrument to address educational disadvantage
What themes do we focus on?
AttainmentRetentionAttendanceLiteracyNumeracyPartnership with parentsPartnership with othersWellbeingTransitions
- At MCC our staff are dedicated to providing equal opportunity to all our students. Our teachers and special need assistants work in different groups to ensure we address the multitude of areas education can cater for. The areas our teams are working on are:
Our current 3 year DEIS plan is coming to an end in May 2023. We are currently introducing new initiatives for our new DEIS plan that starts September 2023.
How you as a Parent/Guardian can assist in alignment with each theme?
1. Parents/Guardians should ensure they encourage students to attend school everyday and for the full duration day
- 2. Parents and Guardians are encouraged to continually engage with school secretary/office regarding absent days and partially absent days.
- 1. Encourage your child to read at home in their own time
- 2. Parents/Guardians are encouraged to ensure their child is fully engaged with Microsoft Teams for homework and notes.
- 1.Parents/Guardians are encouraged to attend all Parent teacher meetings throughout the year. (2 meetings per year group)
- 1.Parents/Guardians should check student journals every evening to monitor homework completion
- 2.Parents/Guardians are encouraged to discuss grades and progress with their child for potential improvement
- 1.1st year Parents and Guardians are encouraged to communicate with their child in regards to their new school books, timetable and teachers
Click here for DEIS plan